The history of our business began more than 160 years ago. In 1857 Egidius Van Reeth founded a coffee roasting house in Wintam, which he moved to the Hoogstraat in Puurs a few years later. In terms of publicity Egidius was a progressive man. Some of his publications in newspapers, leaflets and advertisements can still be admired in the hotel today.
He was succeeded by his daughter Maria Van Reeth in 1911, who married Joannes Peleman. Together they developed the business further into Van Reeth’s Bazaar where more than wines and coffee were sold…
From the large family came another female successor in 1943, Paula Peleman. She in turn married Alfred Van Reeth in 1947. And so the family name ‘Van Reeth’ was continued after all.
When the coffee roaster Fred Van Reeth and his wife Paula retired in 1983, their son Wim Van Reeth already insured the succession. Now, still at the same location, Wim Van Reeth and his wife Miki Van Camp are already the fourth generation of coffee roasters. They have expanded the range of coffees to 12 Arabica varieties. They also thoroughly renovated the premises in 2006. Instead of the old store, there is now a hotel, a coffee bar and a food store where, of course, the coffee still gets a place of honour.
Meanwhile there is already a 5th generation Van Reeth at work.
12 kinds of coffee
Staying with us
10 kinds of coffee
Expansion & Discontinuation
Coffee keeps on selling, Dessert blend and Decaffeinated coffee. Celebrating 130 years of existence
The new owners
Purchase of the coffee roaster
Advertising for Calfort Fair / Pilgrimage.
3 October 1837 Death Franciscus Van Reeth (father Egidius)
18 January 1845 Death Joanna Geyskens (mother Egidius)
1 August 1851 Birth of Maria Cools
28 June 1853 Egidius settled in Hingene as a merchant in flour